Looking for a WordPress S3 guide to help you get your WordPress blog up and running on a connect S3 compatible objects storage? In this article, I will explain everything you need about WordPress with S3 compatible objects storage.
First, I’ll provide an overview of connect S3 compatible objects storage and how they might help your WordPress site. Then I’ll go through the steps you need to take to start offloading your WordPress site’s files into S3 compatible objects.
What is S3 object storage?
Object storage is a common method for storing huge amounts of static, unstructured data. This is because it is scalable and compatible with APIs. Data analysis tools use it. It also provides many extra benefits. For example, it saves media assets on Object Storage for WordPress hosting.
WordPress powers a vast number of websites around the world, and for good reason. It offers a robust platform for creating almost whatever you want. The platform has fantastic functionality and easy customizable designs. Yet, combining it with basic object storage could improve it.
One of the goals of any website is to expand and attract new visitors. This required the ability to scale as your needs grew. Object Storage allows you to add storage space for photos, videos, and other media assets. Furthermore, the initial Object Storage proposal contains a large amount of space.
A WordPress host at any scale must focus on security. Object Storage prioritizes security. It requires HTTPS in transit and stores data on a redundant backend.
Which WordPress S3 plugin should you use?
When selecting a WordPress S3 plugin, it is critical to choose one that is dependable. It should be simple to use and include the functions required for your use case.
Let’s talk about the top three plugins that can integrate S3 object storage with your WordPress to offload files:
- Next3 Offload: The Next3 Offload Media plugin is a WordPress S3 plugin. It provides extensive media file management capabilities for WordPress websites. This plugin works with S3 object storage to store media files in the cloud. This frees up server space and improves site performance.
- Media Cloud: Media Cloud is a revolutionary WordPress plugin. Media Cloud works by transferring your photos, media, and other files from your WordPress server to online cloud storage services. These include Amazon S3, Google Cloud Storage, DigitalOcean Spaces, DreamHost Object Storage, and others. You can then serve the material via a CDN such as Amazon CloudFront, Cloudflare and others.
- WP Offload Media: This plugin is another popular S3 compatible objects plugin in the market. This plugin copies photos, videos, documents, and other media uploaded via WordPress’ media uploader to Amazon S3, DigitalOcean Spaces, or Google Cloud Storage. It then automatically updates each media file’s URL with the Amazon S3, DigitalOcean Spaces, or Google Cloud Storage URLs.
Recommendation: Next3 Offload media plugins are a popular plugin that fits all of the criteria listed above. The plugin includes extensive tools for managing media files on WordPress websites.
How do you connect S3 compatible objects with WordPress using Next3 Offload?
You can easily offload your WordPress Media Library to S3 compatible objects by using the Next3 offload feature.
- Install the plugin Next3 Offload.
- Choose a provider.
- Log in to the S3 compatible object.
- Create an IAM User.
- Bucket Public Permission.
- Define your Access Key.
- Configure Next3 Offload media.
- Configure storage settings.
- Set up delivery settings.
- Set up the offload settings.
Step 1: Install and activate Next3 Offload
To link your WordPress media assets with S3 object storage, first install and activate a powerful offloading plugin.
First, enter into your WordPress admin panel. Then, go to the Plugin section.
Then click on the Add New Plugin button.
Now, click on the Upload Plugin option.
At this point, click on the Choose File option.
Click on the Install Now button (You can follow this article to complete the installation process).
Now, you need to activate the plugin.
Now, to access the plugin, you need to activate the license. Insert your collected license key in the field. Click the Active License button.
After completing the steps described above, you can access the Next3 Offload dashboard and all of the plugin’s functionality.
Step 2: Choose a provider
Now it’s time to choose a provider. We’ll use S3 object storage to integrate with the WordPress site.
At this point, you must insert the Access Key and Secret Key. To accomplish this, you need first to create an S3 object storage account.
Let’s walk through the process of signing in and signing up for S3 object storage.
Step 3: Configure with Next3 Offload using generate Keys
Here, we introduce three providers that you may use. You can also follow the best S3 compatible storage providers for a better understanding.
- MinIO: MinIO is a high-performance and connected S3 compatible object storage solution. This provider supports all Kubernetes distributions across public, private, and edge clouds. It works with Kubernetes operators. It provides the performance and scalability required by the AI industry. This applies to prediction models as well as GenAI.
- UpCloud: UpCloud object storage saves all your data across many storage devices. It supports standard HTTPS encryption in transit, replete with generated SSL certificates. UpCloud provides large storage capacity and network transfer. It begins according to your specifications. There’s no concern about running out of storage capacity. This provider is well-connected S3 compatible object storage.
- iDrive: IDrive is a multi-computer cloud backup and storage. You can backup and recover data in less than a week through physical storage shipment. It uses minimal bandwidth. IDrive helps manage data backups, restores, application settings and more, on remote computers.
We’ll use the UpCloud provider to get the access key and secret access key. You can use any of them. All of them are well-organized and also connect S3 compatible objects.
Now, go to the last tab in your browser (step 2). Then navigate to the WordPress administrator dashboard.
After selecting the provider S3 object storage, you have to create a bucket or access an existing bucket to offload media files.
Insert the Access Key that you have collected before.
Enter the Secret Access Key that you have collected before.
You need to paste the cluster URL on the Endpoint field.
Now, click on the Next button to finalize.
Step 4: Connect with Spaces Bucket
It’s time to connect with the Space Bucket you created. This page will show automatically after you enter the keys.
Insert the Space Bucket name in this required area, or click Browse Buckets and choose from the available options. The Region name has already been saved by default.
The Next3 Offload panel will show up automatically. You can see the provider and bucket name here. Now, you can use every feature and functionality of Next3 Offload.
Step 5: Delivery Settings
Now, you need to choose a delivery source for the next step. Then, go to the Next3 Offload’s panel and click Delivery Settings.
At this phase, you need to choose a delivery provider.
Now, click on the Save Settings button.
Step 6: Configure storage settings
After connecting S3 Object Storage with WordPress, go to Storage Settings and configure all the fundamental functionalities.
To configure the basic storage settings, go to the WordPress Admin Dashboard and select the Next3 Offload option from the Next3 Offload control panel.
Now, you can enable the Offload media option using the toggle button.
After enabling Offload media, you can enable the Copy to local server option.
At this phase, you can also enable the options for Setup Path.
Now, you can enable File Management.
Step 7: Set up the offload settings
Finally, you can set up the Offload Settings.
You can now offload all of your existing media files one by one. Simply click the Offload Now button to complete the offloading process.
You can use the capabilities to restore offloaded files from local storage. Now, click on the Move Now button.
You can also use it to clean up offloaded files from local storage. Click on the Clean Now button.
You can both offload existing CSS and JS files to the Cloud.
Note: You can check your WordPress media library to see whether your files have offloaded or not.
Let’s offload a file from the media library. Select the Media tab on the left side of the panel bar.
Select a file and hit the Offload file to Cloud for individual offload files.
You can see the file is successfully offloaded. After that, refresh this page.
You can currently see the file’s provider, bucket, region, and compression status. So you can feel sure that the connect S3 compatible Objects Storage and offloading are complete.
Cloud storage services are accessible, simple to use, and sometimes inexpensive. They are a good choice for small enterprises. It’s no surprise that their popularity continues to grow.
In this article, we’ve provided step-by-step directions for implementing media file offloading. This will connect S3 compatible objects’ services. We ensure you have all the information you need to start this optimization journey.
If you like this article, please subscribe to our YouTube channel. We have WordPress video tutorials. You can also connect to our Twitter and Facebook accounts to keep abreast of the latest updates, news, and more offers.